Though politics and foreign relations may be heated today, we have never truly been on the absolute brink of nuclear war as we were in 1962. The Cold War was a period of innovation in terms of our capabilities to make war. The United States and Soviet Union were locked in an arms race of unparalleled proportions, the magnitude of which the modern day cannot compare. By 1962, the US had already fought a war in Korea and was in the middle of the war in Vietnam. The world was an entirely different place and time. The Cuban Missile Crisis changed the US/Soviet dichotomy and our relation to nuclear arms.
This topic interests me, as I enjoy learning about the political climate of the time. I feel as though there is nothing comparable in the modern day to what happened nearly 60 years ago. This is a topic is a complex one, with many facets and perspectives, which is why I feel it is important for a student to understand its implications. We would not be where we are today had this near-war crisis occurred. It is important to understand the past and be able to analyze the intricacies of events to better understand the modern day and predict what will become of our future.
Additional reading and President Kennedy addresses during the crisis:
https://www.jfklibrary.org/learn/about-jfk/jfk-in-history/cuban-missile-crisis
This topic interests me, as I enjoy learning about the political climate of the time. I feel as though there is nothing comparable in the modern day to what happened nearly 60 years ago. This is a topic is a complex one, with many facets and perspectives, which is why I feel it is important for a student to understand its implications. We would not be where we are today had this near-war crisis occurred. It is important to understand the past and be able to analyze the intricacies of events to better understand the modern day and predict what will become of our future.
Additional reading and President Kennedy addresses during the crisis:
https://www.jfklibrary.org/learn/about-jfk/jfk-in-history/cuban-missile-crisis
Comments
Post a Comment